Old 09-01-20, 08:14 PM
Beach Bob

Bikes: Giant Defy Pro 0, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
Second wheelset for road use?

I'm a road guy that just bought a Cervelo Aspero for a bit of dual purposes; 1 wanted to learn to ride gravel (as we go into fall, it seems to be the thing to do) and 2 for travel to Mexico with (horrible roads there....).

So... love the Aspero, if you've ever ridden an R3, the geometry works out the same (R3 has shorter top tube, but longer stem...).

The bike came with Gravel King SK Sport (38mm) tires on hideously heavy rims (Alexrims Boondock 7D.. 1kg/RIM). Riding out to places and back is a bit of bummer due to the slow heavy wheels (the slight undergearing from GRX cranks is no big deal). I'm thinking that I could really love this bike as a road bike if I put it on a diet and had a second set of wheels with some much lighter rims and faster tires. I'm thinking that I'd throw some GP5000's @ 32mm onto some reasonably light/aero rims (Hunt Aero Wide 34s?) and drop about three pounds off the bike and lose some rolling resistance as well.

Anyone else run two wheelsets? Pros? Cons? Any other input? I'd like to keep the wheelset to <1000 CAD$ ($650 USish), but if someone can suggest better, I"m open.

Thanks.