View Single Post
Old 01-02-17, 05:41 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by mlau
Do any of you guys just have/want only one bicycle?...The thing is, are any of you guys happier with just one bike?

Most bike nuts that I know of have around 3+: a pure roadie, commuter, maybe a mountain bike, and fixie..
As a decades-long year-round commuter, and nice weather road cyclist, I posted to this Winter Cycling thread
:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…After 40 years of cycle commuting on a year-round minimal one-way 14 mile route, I have this year finally assembled IMO, the perfect bicycle fleet:
  • One nearly year-round dry,clean-road bike (carbon fiber road bike,except for deep winter with lingering salt)
  • One year-round wet,dirty-road bike (aluminum road bike, just recently acquired)
  • One winter bike for anything (steel mountain bike with Marathon Winter studded tires always on, for the least possibility of ice…)
The first two bikes are smooth, easy riding, and easy to carry upstairs; the third is a heavy and significantly tougher ride…I'm very happy with my Specialized S-Works for dry weather riding but my Cannondale Mountain bike was pretty heavy and cumbersome as a Wet/Winter beater.

So I recently bought the Specialized Diverge Elite aluminum bike as a wet weather beater, and it rides nearly as nicely as the S-Works.The ride and shifting of the Diverge is as smooth as the S-Works, but the feelis more ”solid,” with 30 C tires. I think this is a great all-purpose bike…

Furthermore,
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
The only [studded] tire I know of in 30 c that might be better is the Schwalbe WINTER HS 396. It's a cheaper cousin of theSchwalbe Marathon Winter wth only 2 rows of studs instead of 4, but comes in 30c

ttps://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/winter...
So now, the Cannondale will be reserved completely for only miserable, sloppy studded-tire riding, maybe about 3 to 4 weeks during the winter and my riding needs are completely met. I liken my three bikes to a Lamborghini,aLexus, and a Humvee.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-02-17 at 08:18 AM.