Old 02-26-18, 01:48 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Another trip on the Cape York Peninsula Development Road is planned in N Queensland. Last year the Land Cruiser Troopcarrier (support vehicle) gearbox stuffed up and the trip was abandoned after we got stranded with 2 bicycles and all our gear.... This time I do the trip alone, and unsupported, with no exploratory side trips off the main drag...

This year I plan to leave Mareeba, Queensland, bicycle via Mt. Molloy to Lakeland, then N to Laura and begin the dirt road from there. N thru Coen and Musgrave Station. Take the Old Telegraph Road BYPASS. Nothing to prove by doing the original OTT. I'll take the ferry at Wenlock River (salt-water crocs in the water) and get to Seisia after a total of about 3 weeks.

Ferry from Seisia wharf to Thurs Island, switch to another ferry to Horn Island and fly out on a Qantas DHC-8 with all my gear to Cairns and Sydney.

Map at:

http://www.tourismcapeyork.com/wp-co....-22-13.07.jpg

God willing there will be no dramas this time, but you never know. The bicycle is (mechanically) more reliable than most 4X4s - and definitely easier to repair....