Old 06-01-19, 10:40 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by 7Shifty
Do you guys have any recommendations for lights?
Of course.

Front:

L&M Taz series: bright, good beam pattern, comes with a GoPro mount and a heavy duty bar strap mount. Sturdy construction. Heavy. Side marker lights operate partially independently of main headlight. Oscillating mode is cool.

Cygolite Metro series: Compact, lightweight, very sturdy mount, bright, has a long-life flashlight mode. Offers a daytime strobe and a twilight strobe over low mode. GoPro mounts are available (possibly aftermarket). I really like the mount. More on that later.

Not recommended: L&M Urban series. Here is why: The handlebar mount is weak. The flange on the body of the light snapped clean off the body of the light when I hit a recessed manhole cover one evening during the first season of use, sending the light skidding down the street. Even though the light still worked, there was no way to mount it aside from duct tape. To be clear, the mount bracket didn't break. The light's body broke. My bike was otherwise fine. Here's another reason: The USB cover is made of a material that weakens every time you open it, so if you use it nightly and charge it nightly, you'll get about two months of use before the USB cover breaks at its fold point. L&M kindly sent me a packet of several more covers when I asked about this issue. I was working my way through the second one when the mount broke and the light got returned to the store I bought it from. I purchased the Taz 1200 at that time.

Rear:

Cygolite HotShot 100 or HotShot Pro 150 (or if there's a newer model, that one). Super bright, long lasting, easy to charge. I've got a 100 on my commuter bike, and a 150 on my road bike.

Other rear lights that are worth mentioning: Cycliq Fly if you want a rear-view recording of your ride and any incidents that occur. Or a Garmin light if you have a Garmin Edge, because the light has a proximity sensor of some sort that lets you know on your GPS's display when something is approaching from behind.

Side lights:

Planet Bike Bottle Blinky, or if you can figure out where to mount the thing, a Briteside Sidelight. The Briteside is much brighter than the PB Bottle Blinky, but harder to mount, and unfortunately its lens shades are not adjustable, and the light pattern is broad enough that you'll get blinded by it if you mount it anywhere within your field of vision.

I have a PB Bottle Blinky on my road bike. It mounts below the downtube bottle cage. I have a Briteside on my commuter. I've mounted it on the seat tube, but it's not ideal. There is no ideal place for it, really. Fantastic light in some ways, and not so great in others.

I do recommend side lights if you ride at night. I've had vehicles approaching from cross streets and proceeding through stop signs nearly hitting me (with my right-of-way) because they didn't see me from the side; headlamps cast a forward beam, tail lights are visible from behind, but from the side without a side light or good reflectors you're a gray ghost.

One Cygolite Metro, Cygolite HotShot Pro 150, and one Bottle Blinky will set you back a total of about $150. Totally worth it. You'll pay a little more for an L&M Taz light, but its beam pattern is superior, and it does have some low-output side lights too.

A word of warning; I've been shouted at for my tail light. I've also been complemented for it. On one ride a woman pulled up along side me at a stop sign, rolled down her window, and told me that was the best bike light she's ever seen. I commented about how it may be too bright. Her response was, "And so what. I could see you." On another ride a police officer pulled a U-turn to come chat with me about my light. He wanted to recommend it when he taught his next bike safety course. But on the other hand, I've had people roll down their windows as they pass and shout, "F*&@ing light!" So, yeah..... it's bright. You'll be seen. It may make people mad. But you'll be seen.