I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
You do understand there's been a steady increase in pedestrian deaths since 2009 after many years of decline, right? Gosh, what's significant about that year? Sure is a puzzler.

This is not a small increase btw, it's a couple thousand deaths per year.

The magic shield around my bike seems to be broken.
Why not blame the rise in pedestrian deaths on climate change or increased racial tensions ? Those issues also get a lot of attention in the media and your bogus deductive reasoning would be just as applicable. Better yet blame it on crumbling infrastructure; pedestrians must be stepping on more cracks in crumbling sidewalks and we all know many people fear that problem.

Note: the reasons (whatever they may be) for an increase in pedestrian deaths are NOT necessarily the same as the reasons for bicyclist injuries/death. The actual reason(s) will not be determined by resorting to hysteria, random anecdotes, biased assumptions or snark.

Your seem unable to figure out the rhetorical device of posting a hypothetical example of people partaking in reckless behavior (towel on face) just because it is not legal was to demonstrate just how foolish is your and another poster's assumption that because such behavior is not illegal, many people ARE driving while texting and hence are oblivious to bicyclists nearby, and therefore deducing that some posters ' fears of hoards of clueless texting drivers mowing down bicyclists left and right are validated.