Old 07-24-19, 03:18 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Check out the Serfas Tailbones saddles. Lycra fabric over progressive density foam. Basically, it puts the same material as padded cycling shorts onto the saddle, so you can wear whatever clothes and underwear you like.

I've had two similar saddles -- an old Terry Georgina or something like that, and a Bell -- both with Lycra over dense foam. They breathe well in hot and humid weather, so my pants don't feel clammy after I get off the bike. At the moment I'm not using either saddle, but that's because I've reconfigured the bike that I used with those saddles. With the current setup I need a different saddle shape, but I'm still leaning toward a Serfas Tailbones.

The only care I gave the saddles was to aim a portable fan at 'em when I got home from a rainy ride or particularly sweaty ride. Occasionally I'd wipe down the Lycra fabric with fabric cleaner on a sponge, and spray it with Febreze. I'm surprised how long those saddles have lasted -- both are at least 20 years old.

I use minimalist narrow, firm saddles on my road bikes, and wear the usual padded shorts. It's fine for that purpose. But for a cargo, errand or commuter bike, I'd rather have a saddle that's comfortable with ordinary clothing.

Some friends like the Selle Anatomica, but it's pricey compared with the Serfas Tailbones, and I'm still not sure the leather saddle is suitable for an all weather hybrid/commuter/errand bike.

By the way, if you do settle on a better saddle rather than padded shorts, you might also consider some tech fabric underwear like the Champion boxer/briefs made from the same wicking fabric as cycling shorts. They're ultra-thin, very comfortable, dry quickly while wearing even on the muggiest day. The kind with the mesh pouch for the delicate bits is the best. Under Armor and others sell similar underwear but Champion is the best buy. With the Lycra/foam saddles and comfy underwear, I've ridden my hybrids up to 60 miles in a day and was comfortable wearing jeans, baggy shorts, whatever I had on that day.