Old 08-10-19, 06:58 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I know what you mean. For me it's the memories a bicycle brings me. I've ridden many thousands of miles on some of my bikes and I hate to see them go. Sometimes though repairs are more than what the bike is worth such as when seat stays break off the seat tube or in the case of one bike I had that died when I hit a wrong way riding bicyclist who was riding on a one way street the wrong way and exited a blind corner right in front of me. I bent the top tube and the down tube so badly that the front wheel could not turn past the down tube. I flipped the bike over, braced my feet against the bottom bracket shell and pulled on t he front fork legs for all I was worth. I managed to straighten it enough to ride the 25 miles home. I took the bike to a shop here in town and they told me it's cost more to replace those two tubes than what the frame was worth. I got the same answer from other shops including online ones. That wasn't even considering the cost of repainting the frame. I sure wish I could have grabbed that other bicyclist and held him until the police came. Unfortunately he was able to get up and take off. Needless to say that frame of mine was dead.

Cheers
I sold a steel Landshark to a friend and he rode into a planter while riding with no hands which buckled the top and downtubes. Since it was a lugged steel frame, Landshark was able to replace the tubes. My friend rode it for years after that and then sold it to somebody else.