Old 09-13-19, 10:32 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
Why do spokes break?

If they break because there was only 28 of them, then why do spokes break on 32 or 36 wheels?

I totally understand that you can limp a 36h wheel along that is missing a spoke and you can't limp a 28h wheel along with 27 spokes.

However you have lost 100% validation with me, when the argument turns into you'll break spokes because it is 28h.
Spokes break due to metal fatigue, generally. Which happens, generally, because there are not enough spokes to maintain tension for the given load--the spokes go slack and flex and flex and flex like a bending paperclip. POP. Rims break,generally, because of either bad QC of the rim--or because the builder over-tensioned the spokes--result is cracking at eyelets and spokes pulling through.

How few spokes you can get away with, depends on the load and also the rim and how it is built. Also, as ever, the rear always bears more load than the front. I've done pannier touring with my gravel rig with a 28h/32h build with SL25 alloy rims. But I wasn't hauling months worth of gear--enough for a week. My bick with racks and kitted to ride is about 35# add 180-190# of rider, and then 50-60# of pannier bags and stuff in them (waterproof panniers aren't light)....and it starts getting close.

I also have my CX46 carbon rims in 28/28...the build is rated to 310# by the builder, but I tend to keep those for the go quicker rides sans racks/bags.

When in doubt--overbuilding is better. People with steel touring rigs and racks and 80# of stuff in them can cause 32h and 36H wheels to metal fatigue.

For this purpose...I would NOT use boutique wheels, Mavic or no. I'd talk to a wheel builder like November Dave or Richard at ProWheelbuilder about your needs.

Originally Posted by TimothyH
I plan to ride 28 spoke two-cross wheels on a five day bikepacking trip next week - God willing and if I don't hurt myself in the next three days.

Spokes are Sapim Laser with brass nipples.

Gear weight will likely be 30 lb to start, less as I eat my way through the trip. I currently weigh 178 lb.

The route is probably 50% paved, 40% gravel and 10% singletrack/horse trails, 220 miles and 23,000 ft elevation. It isn't much distance for five days but this is my first trip of this length and includes terrain which will surely require pushing the bike. I'm also new to camping so want to leave lots of time for setup, teardown and practicing technique.

The wheels have been used for one night trips and have been ridden in anger on some pretty good gnar (by gravel bike standards) so drama is not expected. Richard at ProWheelBuilder.com built the wheels and serviced them recently. I have great faith that they are well put together.

That said, if the wheels break, they break, and stronger wheels will be built. If they hold up then life is good. Either way it will be epic and I'll report back here when done.

-Tim-
This calls for a ride report with pics when done.