View Single Post
Old 03-26-20, 07:41 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
We'll have to wait until it comes back from the framebuilder 100 miles from me to answer some of your questions. It was actually ordered by a friend in England who sent me the 72 catalog and order form - all snail mail as international phone calls were expensive and no email. I don't know anything about how he did the ordering. It was likely ordered ~March 1973 after some back-and-forth correspondence with my friend and it arrived ~October because I immediately started riding it to school. It was probably made closer to March but sat awaiting parts because of the Campag strike.

My frameset is essentially a Professional with the fastback stays and custom paint. I believe the Super Mistral Fastback was Holdsworth's most expensive offering at the time. Professionals could be bought off the rack at the time. Unlike the Chrono as described above, it has no cutouts, horizontal rear dropouts, and came with a Record road headset.

The braze-ons (top tube brake cable, shifter bosses, and BB cable guides) shown in the above picture were added ~1990 before a repaint. It originally came with Campag clips. The TT and BB braze-ons have largely rusted away and are the primary reason for the current restoration.

Last edited by sced; 03-26-20 at 08:00 AM.