View Single Post
Old 11-18-23, 03:44 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 1,820 Times in 662 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
oh dear. No positive comment on Kirkbride. When the hour was achieved, at best Masi USA was just a contract and planning.

yes, two bikes. Both from Colnago. Watch the hour record documentary attempt and you will see two bikes. One Eddy Merckx with blue typography on the downtube. The other with Eddy Merckx on a blue background foil sticker, as seen on his licensed bikes. One bike, club incised on the top of the crown, one not. An extra set of bar and stem on the grass.
The details are a bit murky but there was money paid, most probably paid to the team manager. The threats that possibly went with that, “accept or else no attempt”
who knows.
Colnago was miffed, but his name on Eddy’s bikes was not a happening thing from the start.
I am pretty sure that the actual hour record bike is at the Merckx Metro station. Unfortunately things have been swapped out and the frame now REPAINTED.
much later Merckx graphics too.
the interesting note, worms eye angle will show “Pino” type transverse small tube reinforcements on the chainstays, open end down. 2, maybe 3 per side.
‘the Real bad? The seat is nearly slammed into the frame.
I even wrote to the Merckx Bike company, they actually could care less, they were not involved with the donation. History is just that.
I was repeating what Kirkbride told me.

This was during his big sell-off. He was trying to sell the Masi version according to him.

I'm not saying it was made by his team.

Just that he said, "I have it in my collection but since Eddy didn't chose it, and went with the Colnago, its place in history isn't all that important."

Not trying to create a story out of the ether. I couldn't care one way or another.

On the other hand, seemed like a perfectly good bike for CINO.