View Single Post
Old 07-26-14, 09:24 PM
crotch_rocket

Bikes: 1998 Specialized Hardrock Classic, 1999 Gary Fisher Marlin, Surly Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MielleCondor72
Hi Everyone,

I been on the forum for two months now and I have a question in regard to overhauls on older bikes. When I joined I mentioned I had come into possession of a couple of older bikes that haven't been ridden in quite some time. They were headed to the dump.

I've been reading posts in this group as well as C&V What's it worth. In most posts there's been advice about stripping down the bikes and doing a complete overhaul = including replacing all the cables on bikes that have been sitting for some time. Why do you recommend a complete strip down and replacing cables? I understand the grease gets old and hardens which needs to be replaced to make sure parts are lubricated correctly. What I don't understand is the reasoning behind replacing the cables? Why?

If the cables are stretched can't you just cut off the excess cable and tighten it back up? Obviousluy if the cable is rusted or damaged in some way I understand replacing it. I can't see the cables stretching to a point where it needs to be replaced, especially if the bike has been sitting quite sometime. Why does age or lack of use mean the cables need to be replaced. If you can ride the bike, shift gears and brake why replace the cables? I'd like to be informed so I don't sound like or seem like an idiot.

The bikes in question are I believe a 1985 Miele Condor and a late 70's or early 80's Miyata 750SR road bikes. I have taken both bikes for rides during our local Bike to Work Week. The wheels rotate freely, the handle bars also move freely - turning with etheir bike is normal. They shift gears and the brakes work good on both bikes. Those rides went fine with no issues with driveability.

I haven't experienced any grinding or binding issues. As far as I can tell the two bikes have been stored inside for quite sometime. Dusty but not dirty? I haven't found any rust on the Miele Condor its in very good shape. The Miyata has been used a lot more than the Miele. The Miyata isn't dirty either it just dusty and dry with a bit of surface rust on the seat post - just above where is sits in the seat tube.

Tires needed to be pumped up and so far they are holding air. No cracking or dry rot that I can see. Again the tires on the Miele are in better condition than those on the Miyata 750SR. The tires on the Miele Condor still have the small nubs on the sides of the tires. Making me think there is very little wear and tear on the Miele Condor.

Neither have been overhauled so I'm trying to determine what I should have done and what can be skipped. All information and advice greatly appreciated.
I used to work as a bike mechanic, and the general consensus was to replace the cables, and in particular, the housings. Housings, if they've had a lot of exposure, will go bad. Tell tale signs are cracks in the housing. Internally, if you keep them lubed with light mineral oil - no more than 1-2 drops - they should still continue good service. If the housings look in good shape, lube the cables, and you should be good to go. But if you start seeing a decay in the housing, as in it's not supple, aka it's stiff and hardened, that means at some point, you're going to want to replace them.