Old 12-15-18, 10:11 PM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
You might consider a camelbak type backpack if you're going to be out and about when no services are available.

Say, why is there a challenger memorial in Israel? Christa McAuliffe went to my high school in Framingham MA, so we were all in the lunch room watching it on TV when the shuttle exploded.
I can carry 3 bottles on my bike but didn't think to grab that last one before heading out. Stupid. The Camelback is a good idea. I'm planning a trip from here to the southern tip of Israel which will take me through the Negev Desert so I'll need as much as I can carry. It was cool yesterday so I wasn't losing it through perspiration but I was breathing mouth agape on those hills so it must have been through respiration

The memorial is ~20 miles west of Jerusalem in what is designated as "USA Park". Sadly there are at least a couple other memorials commemorating American tragedies. There is the JFK Memorial which I think is beautiful and is situated on an awesome hilltop at the edge of Jerusalem. It's a popular riding destination here and I make the trip a couple times a month. It actually has a bathroom and water fountain. The other one I've ridden to is the 9/11 Memorial which is on the hillside opposite the valley from Jerusalem. Looking out you can see the city as well as Jerusalem's largest cemetery.

I remember the Challenger tragedy as well. We were sitting in Mr. King's class when he came in and switched on the class radio for us to hear.

Thanks
Paul

Last edited by pennpaul; 12-15-18 at 10:17 PM.