View Single Post
Old 05-16-19, 01:39 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
Spent the 70's living in New Mexico. Around 1974-75 started seeing Windsor bikes coming into the local market. It may have been one individual bringing them in. Not sure if they were coming from SoCal or Mexico or both.

Anyway, because they were being bootlegged in, local shops were reluctant to have any dealings with Windsors.

The all Campy Windsor Professionals offered a lot of bang for the buck but the cosmetics and workmanship were inconsistent back then. The lower priced Windsor models were even worse.

There were all kinds of fantasy stories about a connection between Windsor and Cinelli and so on.

Unfortunately Windsor suffered from the same image problems that affected the Mexican made Benottos: Hecho En Mexico!

@Manny66 Looks like you have a really nice example of a well built Windsor Professional.

verktyg
Thats a pretty good bike story and info you got to pass along. Thanks.

Back in the very early 80's at various times I had an oppurtunity to pick up a couple of Benottos , I Always passed on them because of the cracking bottom bracket shell stories. I wasnt going to pay for a potentially defective frame.I always thought they were Made in Italy until someone explained the Mexico connection. There was no Internet back then so it was always hard to get accurate information on bicycles and frame builders.Either way, Im still passing on Benottos but willing to give the Windsor a try.

The Windsor should be ready for a saturday test ride.