View Single Post
Old 05-15-18, 06:13 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by stuart1865
I'm pretty new to these boards, but as I resurrect my 1982 Matsuri P-770, and as I replace this and upgrade that....at what point do I get kicked out of "Vintage" into....."General"......seat was bad - changed it. Headset pitted....changed it.....gearing too tight for my older physiology.....changed it....decals literally decayed....removed and replaced with non-OEM.....replaced pedals to "clipless"....etc. At a certain point, the only real "vintage" remaining is the seatpost, the Cro-Mo frame, wheels.....ods and ends.

Thanks, all.
IMO 82 cromo frame makes it vintage
A practical usage of the definition is often the eroica requirements https://www.eroicacalifornia.com/regulation

"Vintage-Looking Bikes" with steel frames from new or recent construction with vintage look and characteristics may be used only if they are assembled using vintage components or replicated parts similar to the original as described above. In particular if the bikes are inspired by the design of road racing bicycles of the 1970’s and 1980’s, they must comply with rules a), b), and c) above, regarding shift levers, toe clips and straps, and brake cables.
Exemptions regarding the type of bicycle will be granted to participants with disabilities, as long as they make a specific request to the organization at the time of registration.