View Single Post
Old 01-09-20, 10:59 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Campy totally redesigned the shifter internals, late in 2008, for the 2009 model year, along with the introduction of 11 speed. The shifters made prior to that time have pointed tips on the brake hoods. Those were all repairable and would last for a very long time. The newer ultrashift model shifters are much simpler and also last a long time, but after only a couple of years, the small internal parts that might be needed for repairs, were no longer made available. After that time, a major assembly had to be purchased if something inside the lever body malfunctioned. Another change in 2015 made the new ultrashift levers and derailleurs incompatible with the earlier models.

I have always used the Ultrashift levers since 2008 and avoided the lower level escape or powershift models. Never had a problem with any of them, but I also have 2-3 bikes sharing my mileage and always buy the newest equipment, soon after it comes out. I just bought in to Chorus 12 speed last July and sold all of my 11 speed parts, some of which dated back to 2008. People tend to pay too much for used parts, so the conversion on two bikes really wasn't all that expensive. No regrets, so far.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 01-09-20 at 12:25 PM.
Likes For DaveSSS: