View Single Post
Old 03-10-20, 06:45 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
First, I'm out of shape and I fall behind on every hill.

Second, it's an election year and it's inevitable that someone will start some kind of opinionated disruption. I don't discuss politics except with a few family and friends. I don't like having opinions forced on me.
As a larger rider, I've always been off the back on hills but when I was younger and stronger I could make them work on the flats. It's good to have friends who will wait for me after the hills and I've been working on my climbing since I retired.

We keep politics out of our rides for the most part. Sure, if you have a large club you will get annoying talkers sometimes. It's only bad when they are right behind you.

Having been with one club for 31 years there are negatives. The last couple years there has been an influx of younger riders who seem intent on dropping everyone they can. This can ruin the ride for some of us.

Mountain bike group rides don't seem to have that issue. People go fast but always watch out for others. Some road clubs are that way too. Always checking, regrouping, and doing head counts.

Last edited by big john; 03-10-20 at 06:55 PM.