View Single Post
Old 11-19-18, 02:55 AM
joewein

Bikes: Elephant Bikes National Forest Explorer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 82 Posts
My focus this year has been less on brevets and more on centuries and social rides (many of my centuries bracketed a much shorter social ride with others). I am up to 27 centuries for 2018 so far, as many as I did in all of 2017 and November isn't over yet!

Since becoming a Randonneur I have yet to achieve SR status: I have attempted a 600 km four times and always DNFed because I became too sleepy.

That would have to change for PBP, but even though my randonneuring friends have urged me to aim for it since I speak some French and might help them participate, I am not sure if I will even sign up for a 600 this year. I have to say, I really enjoyed the 400 km I did the last few years, but anything beyond that it becomes difficult for me to ride fast enough to build up enough of a time buffer to be able to sleep enough to not turn into a zombie whereas with a 400 I can more or less stay awake for 26+ hours and finish it that way.

To really commit to SR as goal (and by extension, PBP), I'd probably have to sign up for multiple rides of 300, 400 and 600 in case of bad weather or clashes with my business travel schedule and I'm not that committed.

My plan for 2019 is to ride my favourite 200 km brevets, probably just do one each of 300 and 400 and then spend the rest of the season riding with friends without time limits again...