Old 02-04-19, 02:01 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
Carleton, I'm not sure if you're trying to deliberately misrepresent the info that's out there, or what. $25k isn't a "stipend to cover travel and equipment." It's cash, full travel support is a whole other line item, and riders get equipment. It's more than most domestic pro road contracts, and it has attracted road talent, which is what we were talking about, right?
My bad. You are right.

Now that fights and hotels are covered, with $25,000 in cash/year, an athlete is still making less money than a waiter/waitress (who doesn't have to travel and stay in hotels). Still. Under. The. Poverty. Line.

Originally Posted by queerpunk
Personally, I also think everybody deserves a living wage, but that wasn't what we were talking about ...
That's exactly what I was talking about.

I don't care where the money comes from. Back in Team USA's heyday, it seems like most of the money came from private companies (EDS, VW, etc...).

I'm sorry, man. But, after the fun and allure of track racing has faded for an athlete, there is no way that the chance (not guaranteed) of earning $25,000/year is worth training that much. Not when they can get a guaranteed wage or salary working a day job.

I know you read the interview with Bobby Lea where he laid bare his financial situation. He is, hands down, one of the most accomplished US trackies ever. He never won an Olympic medal, but he won several Pan-Am titles. He basically finished an illustrious career being "the guy to beat" in every US race...in debt.

Last edited by carleton; 02-04-19 at 02:02 PM. Reason: is, not was