View Single Post
Old 08-18-19, 04:39 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Cross race today. Good lord, do I need help with my bike handling. But it’s a great workout and a hella fun time.

edit:

My son and I entered the last race of a weekend-long 5-race series. There weren't any age categories, just M4/5, so for the first time ever we were able to race the same field. That was awesome.

We were pre-riding the course and heading back to start/finish when we noticed that everyone seemed to have disappeared. I guess we missed the announcement that they were staging for the start in a field about 250m from the finishing straight. So we hauled ourselves to the back of the line with about 60 seconds to go. I probably made up 30 spots in the 200m dash from the start but then gave them all back with terrible cornering and a botched remount. Hoo boy.

Meanwhile, Lucas has flatted and we don't have a spare wheel for him, so he's going back to the pit to try to replace his tube, when one of the P12 women who was hanging around just loans him her bike. God, I love the Cross Vibe.

Anyway, we finish 38th and 40th, respectively. I happened to be the last guy to finish on the lead lap, which is basically the worst, but what the heck, I needed the practice.

The best part was Lucas spent the whole ride home talking about this corner, and what line he should have taken, and how he's getting better on his remounts. And he talked about how much he likes his bike, which is my old SSCX. He loves the idea of just bombing along in the gear he's got, and then if it's too big, gotta run. And if it's too small, gotta spin.

Last edited by caloso; 08-19-19 at 10:31 AM.
Likes For caloso: