Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
Nope. In real life it is just as hard or easy as it is in Zwift. Power is power. I have both a power meter and a smart trainer and they track the same. When I've replicated a training session outdoors that I've done in Zwift it feels the same. The reason outdoor feels easier to most people is that you don't ride as consistently hard, no micro recoveries as you say. Speed doesn't really tell you how hard you are riding.
There's a couple mixed up topics now going on. Power is power, so if you're doing a power-based training ride, Zwift should feel the same as IRL. At the same time, re the other discussion, it is proposed that a Zwift course is easier than IRL. eg. if you ride up a 8% grade at 250 watts, Zwift would give you a faster speed than you'd see IRL. This issue if true, seems could be mitigated to some extent by a user if they wanted to, by doing one of the mentioned hacks (body weight, wheel circumference?)

I do agree that trainers (not specific to Zwift) take away some 'ease/speed benefit' (if we call it this or if it exists), by being more uncomfortable (eg riding out of the saddle in a trainer sux)