View Single Post
Old 01-17-17, 12:59 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18416 Post(s)
Liked 15,554 Times in 7,330 Posts
Originally Posted by ever1ast15
2017 will be the year of my first tour. I plan to drive to Cumberland, MD, hop on the Amtrak train (roll on service) to Pittsburgh, and then ride my Trek 520 back to Cumberland (150 miles) over 4 days. This will be my first tour of any kind and I hope to build up to this ride with some day long rides. My plan is to ride this trip in September 2017 so it will give me plenty of time to build up my stamina and also time to acquire some paniers and a go pro camera to document the trip. My plan is to camp on this trip.

The Adirondack shelters at Connellsville are nice. I understand they built a few more since I rode the GAP in 2013 as part of a cross-PA tour. Now showers, but they are free and are within sight of a good grocery store.

Bring ear plugs if you plan to stay at Husky Haven Campground in Rockwood. It's a nice place with free firewood, but the train noise can be loud. Also, if you cook there is no real grocery store in town, only a small Dollar General or whatever it's called. There is what looks to be an inexpensive bar/café east on the main drag. There is no water or flush toilets at Husky Haven, but the camping fee allows you to use the bathroom and showers at the bunk house in town. There, the owner has plastic gallon jugs for water. You can fill one up, take it back to the campground with you and leave it there the next morning. The owner will collect it.

I started my trip from Pittsburgh the Saturday after Labor Day. It was a great time to go. Camped alone at both Connellsville and Rockwood. Not too hot during the day and good tent weather at night.