View Single Post
Old 09-20-18, 08:10 AM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Update on Campy 8 Speed Shifters upgrade

Hello All,

Last year I picked up a set of Campy Ergo 8 speed shifters (brifters). This was to replace the Syncro II DT shifters (7 speed). And using with a Shimano 7 speed HG cassette. The setup sort of worked. I'm using the Campy Syncro II Athena RD. However, I was experiencing a jumping around of the chain, while shifting between the middle sprockets. After a little finessing , I could get the chain to stay put. After some research, I discovered the Syncro II RD is an in-line parallelogram and the 8 speed RD's are slant- parallelogram . Well blow my skirt up.

So I started looking for a Campy 8 speed RD . I found several , popping up on Ebay, but to expensive or crappy condition. Finally, a Campy Racing Triple , with long cage appeared. I jumped on it ($50) and scratch free. Yes, a nice, long cage, shiny, 8 Speed Campy RD, the Campy Gods are watching out for me.

It arrived yesterday, cleaned, polished, lubed , and installed . Wow ! The shifting is perfect. My Concorde is going to be fun to ride again. And, best of all, I'm running a 13-34T HG cassette. Screwed the "B" screw in all the way, the jockey wheel clears the 34T cog by 3 mm.

Put the bike on my Turbo stand, and shifts perfect, under pressure. Now, need to take it for a spin.

Now, all I want to find , is a Shiny Alloy 34/50 Campy crank set, that will fit to my Campy , square taper BB. KB