View Single Post
Old 08-31-19, 08:18 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
I would check with UPS as to their policy w.r.t. customs brokerage - I expect it will be fairly pricey, for what basically amounts to filling out a few forms.
I believe the duty on bicycles is 11%. If the bicycle was made in Canada the duty should be 0, under NAFTA. However NAFTA has complicated country of origin rules, which depend on how much of the item was manufactured in the country and how much was imported. I wouldn't be surprised if every part of the bike was imported. If they deem the bicycle to have originated in China, the duty may be even higher.

Going the other way, from US to Canada, I have imported several bikes over the years and I usually only get dinged for GST. I dont think they usually care enough about individual items to do more than just hit them with sales tax.

I had really poor luck with bike flights, they didn't appear to understand the tariff categories and couldn't be bothered to get back to me.

Canada Post only charges $10 for brokerage, but I don't know how much USPS charges, and a bike is probably too big to ship by mail.

Good luck.