Old 09-17-19, 07:52 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
You could absolutely have avoided this, as it was an avoidable incident. Your wreck happened for the same reason I've gone off the bike twice this year: complacency. Nothing came out and hit you, nothing mechanical on the bike failed. You simply weren't paying enough attention to your surroundings, and that split second was all it took.

I was looking too far ahead at a corner, dropped my front wheel into a rut, and down I went. 100% my fault. The second off, I went around a corner on a path I've been around a hundred times, and hit a patch of watery silt left behind from (I'm guessing) a broken sprinkler. It was like hitting ice. Hyperextended my left wrist, ruined my favorite arm warmers.

I didn't hit the ground hard enough to break anything, so in both events I continued the ride-- the second one happened at mile 17 of 62, and I knew that if I stopped I would tighten up and be done for the day-- and rode the following day after both events. I'm not gonna stop riding because I made a mistake. I'm going to pay more attention. Those falls were lessons, your fall should be a lesson. You know what you did or didn't do to precipitate the event. In the future, make a conscious effort not to recreate that event.