View Single Post
Old 11-07-19, 01:08 AM
Sertsa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by rutan74
That's tough. I guess it just all depends. I don't know anyone that has been killed. I have heard of people here and there but I have not known anyone personally that was killed while riding. To have known 2 is out there to me. That would freak me out too. I just feel that there is not much I can do on the road to protect myself that I am not already doing. That is except for the fact that I could choose not to ride on the road but to me, I don't even consider it. I guess it all depends on where you ride too. Not saying that you could not get hit on the safest road in America but I don't ride in congested areas. A man has got to know his limitations.

3 grand for a bike is not that much, really. It "sounds" like a lot but it really is not. My first bike was on special at around 900 but I am sure you can even do better than that. There are probably leftovers from last year and you should be able to get a deal on a 2019 model instead of the new 2020's. Good luck and pedal on.

john
Thanks. It still feels out there to know two people killed while riding. One was at an intersection in a fairly large suburb where the driver ran a red light. The most recent was on a rural highway and was a hit and run.

Anyway, as for bike cost, I'm becoming aware that it's easy to spend 3 grand and much more. I'm thinking I can find something reasonable in the $1K range, but I'm fairly flexible on price. I also plan to stop at a local co-op once they have more bikes available.