Old 12-22-19, 10:00 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by rseeker
The only reason it wasn't arguing is because I let him do all the talking. If there'd been an opening I would have taken it, but he wasn't interested in listening. It'll take animal control and/or the sheriff to do that.

The dog came at me out of the dark from the rear quarter, silent until he's barking right next to me, then he chased me for about eight houses down the road. Big hairy thing, maybe 80-100lbs. He does that **** every time. The place is at the top of a longish hill so I have little speed whichever way I come from. I circled back to make the point that it's my road too then I decided to sit there and let him bark until the owner came out.

That took a few minutes (around 9PM) then finally some lights came on and the owner came out. We had a talk about how this is fine and I really shouldn't worry about it and he basically blew me off. I started out feeling some understanding but not after that.

I went back later and left him a letter in his mailbox telling him it's dangerous and he has to keep his dog out of the road, mentioning not having called animal control *yet* and suggesting what would happen if I got hurt.

I checked county regs and it's very clear, a dog that roams off of property is a "loose dog" and it's illegal. This owner won't do anything because he doesn't want to do anything, so next time I'll drop off another letter telling him he has a month to fence his dog to give him time to do whatever site work it takes. After that when it happens again I'll call animal control, and get that ball rolling.
It sounds like you are handling it very reasonably, good luck.
Likes For 2manybikes: