Old 01-24-20, 02:55 PM
ChrisAlbertson

Bikes: 70's frame, newer parts

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by TinyBear
I don’t have a trainer but have been using the stationary bike I do have daily for the past few months. It’s not as fancy as it has no free wheel action and the ergos are not perfect but it’s something and is allowing me to do a bit more.

One day I will do 10-15 mins at a harder difficulty and get my heart rate up to 130-140bpm. The next will be low difficulty for half an hour with a heart rate around 110-120bpm. My stating heart rate seems to average 85bpm.

A couple days a week I follow up the bike with some exercises I was shown in physio years ago to try getting as much flexibility as I can out of my left ankle and knee.

I have an old stationary bike too. It is OK for building cardio but the advantage of the roller type training is that you can try outfit adjustments on your road bike. If there is an ankle of knee pain it can be address be changing size and location of parts. Then you ride on the roller. A mirror can help too or a video camera (iPhone on tripod) See how your knees bend and if knees or over pedals both front to back the left/right. Just buy the cheapest one you can find. then in 6 months sell it on Cl for the same price. Like renting for free. "Fit" realy does matter for comfort.

You can read online about how to fit a bike and later ask very specic questions on the forum. They make things like wedges to go under the cleat to change the angle of you ankle and many other little things but you need to ride your road bike to try out the corrections.