View Single Post
Old 12-01-20, 08:59 AM
telebianchi

Bikes: 2014/17 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus, 2012 Raleigh XXIX single-speed, 2017 Access Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
You don't say if you are running tubeless or not.

Summer of 2019 I bought a 2012 Raleigh XXIX from a friend (full rigid steel single-speed). It came with 29x2.2 clinchers.

After about two months, I switched to a 2.4 Goma up front and a 2.3 High Roller out back. It definitely made for more cushion and grip.

However, the bigger change was when I got wider rims (25mm internal vs 19mm) and went tubeless. That allowed for lower pressure - I now run about 20 psi based on my cheap floor pump gauge. The wider profile + lower pressure + less fear of flats really opened up my riding. I'm not a very aggressive rider, but on just the first ride with the new wheels I was setting PRs on some downhills and rockier/rootier sections of trails I ride on a weekly basis.

Earlier this summer I borrowed a Niner Jet 9 RDO from a friend (100 mm travel full suspension XC race bike). It was set up with 29x2.2 tires. I so hated those tires and lack of grip even with the full suspension. I wasn't planning on buying that bike (just rode it one day for the fun of it), but one of my thoughts on it was, "This would be so much more fun with wider tires."

Hope all that helps.