Old 02-22-21, 04:01 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by Het Volk
I think there is a need for those professionals' services for athletes at a certain talent level. A CAT 3 racer with proven talent trying to take it to the next level.

However, I think a lot of beginners get burned out, ripped off (coaching and training fees) and generally lose the fun of the sport when out of the gate are on some regimented training program to "maximize" their development, but completely ignoring that this is supposed to be fun. Most beginners do not have the talent to benefit from the cost or mental exhaustion that can occur from a dedicated training program, and will end-up getting dispirited because all they do is regimented training during the week only to get spit out the back of the pack in a CAT 4 race.

I would rather coaches advise beginners to focus on riding lots, ride with fast group rides and people faster than you, and just have fun racking up miles, rather than worrying about their FTP, TSS etc....
To be fair, I think a lot of people seek out information that doesn't really apply to their current needs, then having waded into training advice for more advanced cyclists, find themselves in a morass of apparently conflicting advice. Plus I think a lot of new riders want an instant cure for being dropped, which as we all know doesn't exist.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles