Old 03-06-21, 09:36 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Didn't you mention their silly gear restrictions at one point though?

The chain line with TT is really a balance between a straight line but also trying to stay out of the smaller cogs if possible. So.....you wind up with really big front chainrings.

All that to say, if juniors are gear restricted........how can they move up the cassette to get more efficient? Wouldn't they mostly be in 13/14 already as the limited gear and not need to optimize the drive line?

Any who...........there's movement on my end now.......something is brewing. Things are being bought and sold.........again. Updates soon.
There are silly restrictions. More restrictions now.

The gear is going to generally be a 26' roll-out 52X14 or 53X14 or 45X12 which is fine for most on flats. The strong get spun out a bit, and some are better at 110RPM than others. That gear really hurts going down, and that is where coasting is better than spinning 130+RPM.

So they would take an 11-25, block RD and put spacers for the 12, 13 and just use the 14 on the normal front. That was 4th cog in. On my kids TT bike we could move the single ring closer to the stays.
The crazy types (me) would just grind the small cogs off for nationals and UCI events where you could not block the RD.
Likes For Doge: