Old 09-19-20, 10:38 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Many pros who are otherwise solid cyclists seem uncomfortable on TT bikes. It's a whole nuther discipline that only a few pros master.

Before the penultimate stage time trial, the Lanterne Rouge channel Oz dude predicted bike changes from TT to road bikes for the final climb would be the downfall of some riders. He nailed it.

Aside from the scandals that overshadowed his injury and sanctions-abbreviated career, Floyd Landis was a solid time trialist. There aren't many YouTube videos focusing exclusively on this but I've watched a few. Unless the rules prohibited his preferred position, he usually set the aero bars higher than many riders and seemed more comfortable with a natural cadence, while also being more aerodynamic. I suspect that without the hip injury and doping scandal Landis would have carved out a niche for himself as a great cyclist.

It's motivated me to try aero bars on one of my road bikes again. An old C1-C2 neck injury makes the conventional aero tuck very uncomfortable and impossible to hold for more than a minute or two at a time. But a higher position, angled aero bars, with fists in front of my face, might be workable. I hate aero bars but gotta admit that every time I've forced myself to use them there was an immediate improvement in speed and shorter times, even when I used the aero tuck poorly.