Old 05-03-19, 09:42 AM
txags92

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doge
^^^
A reason I think we should just all give up. If you dominate - you don't pass the smell test.

That the UCI (or WADA) makes rules few are satisfied they can enforce, is more a problem with the rule makers.

What generally undetected PEDs are more dangerous than the actual professional sports job? Few I can think of in cycling.

Why not make those undetectable PEDs legal - then we have what we most likely have now, but the winners - are viewed as the winners by all and they all pass the smell test.

If, the athlete doesn't want to do that stuff to their bodies, they should think about other than a pro sport career, as the (undetectable) PEDs are likely not the biggest risks they are taking.
I have been in favor of this pathway for years. Instead of banning substances, set limits based on riders safety (i.e. can't ride with hematocrit over 53 or some other number based on the point at which blood clots and strokes become a risk). There are plenty of sports where people who are successful at it over a long period are likely to wind up with long term health issues. I think UCI and WADA should decide what things are dangerous, and monitor for immediately dangerous conditions, but otherwise, let them take whatever they want. Yeah, it basically forces anybody who wants to be successful over the long term to dope, but that is pretty much where we are right now, and as you pointed out, the current setup leads to any successful rider or team being suspected of doping (probably because they are).