Old 08-30-19, 09:59 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Phamilton
I think that’s an interesting idea about wider rear, narrow front, equal pressure. I had just never thought about it.

FWIW, I don’t have decades of cycling experience but I tend to get more punctures with knobby/armored tires than slicks. I’ve never set out to understand why, I just stick to what works.
I've done that for decades, but mostly with smaller road tires. You can measure yours, but bikes are often 40/60 weight distribution, so to get the same size contact patch, you need less pressure in the front tire. By putting the smaller tire up front (which normally would need more pressure), and putting the same psi front/rear - it equalizes for the 40f/60r weight ballance.

I don't know about you, but I almost never get a flat in the front. The front throws debris at the rear - so the rear is more likely to hit something at an odd angle where it would actually puncture (and it is carrying more weight). And, all other things being equal, my slicks get fewer flats than my knobbies - as the knobbies tend to grab the bad stuff.