Old 06-19-19, 08:41 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
You know what infuriates me, people driving over the speed limit*; people driving while distracted ** ... and all sorts of deadly behaviors while operating two or more tons of motor vehicle. People rolling a stop sign on a bike are not killing 35,000+ people in the US each year. People driving cars, they are the ones racking up the death count. I'm angry about the focus on being "annoyed" by people on bikes and fail to focus on the things that are killing people.

During the bikeablity workshop yesterday, I found out that our bike specific stop light *** is unique and required a lot of paperwork by our town. The bike light gives the green to bike traffic while keeping other traffic on red. This is for safety of the person riding a bike. However, you can count on your hand the number of bike specific lights in Minnesota. So why do people on bikes jump the light - for their safety ... and the way we create proper bike infrastructure supports that it is safer for the people on bikes to get a head start. Additionally, cities focused on walkability are making the same change to crossing signals, the walk signal leads the green light for traffic.

BTW - do you need to tell people walking across the street against the light that they are 'dangerous'? If you do that, you'd lose your voice inside an hour. So it seems the root problem is "the bike", not the law-breaking.

An easy Googles search will give you dozens of results like this: Study: Cyclists Don’t Break Traffic Laws Any More Than Drivers Do or this Why do bikers run red lights?

Or these:
*There were 37,461 traffic fatalities in 2016. Among them 10,111 (27%) were in crashes where at least one driver was speeding.
** Each day in the United States, approximately 9 people are killed and more than 1,000 injured in crashes that are reported to involve a distracted driver.

Hopkins, MN bike light and cyclopath (The Artery)
*** https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9245...2!8i6656?hl=en

Cyclists and pedestrians who violate traffic laws are a annoyances but not a danger to anybody else on the road except to themselves.

Of all the close calls I have had with cyclists running reds or stop signs, I had never been in a collision with them. (And so goes the axiom inferred in the BikeForums.net that for all the x years of doing y, nothing bad has happened so nothing bad will ever happen.)

A road fatality or a public lecture by the mayor won't change the behaviour of all the other drivers on the road. Personally, confronting a single bad driver will get you backlash.

Lecturing bad cyclists in discussion forums won't change their behaviours. So neither would confronting cyclists on the road.

Just move on. If you've just survived a near miss, consider that GOD is looking after you to live another day. If you choose confrontation, well good luck.