View Single Post
Old 03-24-18, 03:29 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
Well we rarely see good road bikes with quill stems these days. I think that’ll be the case with rim brake bikes 5-10 years from now. There’s been a few major innovations in bike technology like improvement from square taper Bb, improvement from quill stems, and now disc brakes, which provide some clear advantages not just with braking performance, but tire clearance, rim weight, aerodynamics, versatility (Put wide tires on road bike you got gravel bike), no rim wear (use race wheels on training rides). It’s impactful in that changing one aspect on the bike is opening up all these other doors
some people might argue that these are not all advantages -- at least not universal advantages.

there are those who see square taper as a better solution than "modern" press-fit BBs. (personally i have not had issues with high-end bikes and PF/BB30, but that is not universal.)

wide rims and tires are less aerodynamic at low/no yaw. (even when wheels are designed for wider tires, they still take an aero hit.)

rim wear... really? i can think of many perks of disc brakes (and i own many disc brake-equipped bikes!), but not many people are retiring wheels these days due to worn out brake tracks.

i take your points -- just saying even in the examples you provided not everyone sees it the same way.