View Single Post
Old 05-25-16, 08:25 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by netman9718
I'm about to buy a new Garmin. Couple questions. For those who have 520 is there any woulda, coulda or shoulda's? Example should have paid extra and got the 1000.
Im leaning towards the 520.
Another question. With most places selling for 299.00 would you buy from Garmin direct , local LBS or internet retailer. I'm asking due to the price being the same or close. Would a person be better off getting the unit direct from Garmin rather than something off the shelf?
Thanks
I have the 520 and it's perfect for 99% of the riding I do. It's OK, but not great, for navigation. Biggest problem I had with navigation was if you get off course it's hard to find your way back. When I got off course I ended up using my cellphone to see where I was. It's possible they've updated the firmware to allow zooming of the map but I didn't try too hard to figure it out.

Given I only need navigation a couple of times a year, it's not worth it to me to have a bigger unit all the time.

As far as where to buy, Garmin won't care or know when it comes time for service.