View Single Post
Old 01-15-12, 09:34 PM
glockenspieler

Bikes: Orbea Orca 2013, Cannondale R800 ('04), Bianchi Pista SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really want to second the comment that at this point, anything you do over the next couple of years will make you faster. I further encourage you not to over think it at this stage. I think the comments regarding intervals is that they really can make getting on the bike feel like a chore. They are important as you approach some asymptotes in terms of things like lactate thresholds and vo2max but the first couple of years are really the easiest gains that you'll make and so the most important thing is to get out there and ride.

I would say also to keep at the bike path if that's what you enjoy and maybe when there's some variation in the terrain, maybe hit some of the hills a little harder. Maybe make it a goal once in a while to really feel like your tongue is hanging out for some of the time. But the biggest thing that you can do is to make it a habit.

I get the desire to really dig into a training routine but at some point, it can really detract from the joy of riding. Finding some folks to ride with also makes a huge difference.

You're really at the steep part of the curve for improvement. I remember (e.g., 18 months ago) when a 35 mile ride made me want to come home and do nothing for the rest of the day, but with no really structured training, i'm pretty happy going out on a nice saturday (which we haven't had much of recently) and doing an unsupported century (albeit, not fast) because it feels good.