Old 06-20-15, 11:17 AM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Wallonthefloor
I kind of figured that riding it more would change its appearance. Just like riding a bike with a chain that got wet and rusted overnight, riding it makes the rust go away alone although lubing it first isnt a bad idea though either. So I kind of just want to know if there is any "quick fix" and further down the line the best ways to keep my saddle in its best shape.

the sunshine before the rain
The saddle leather is absolutely brimming with lubricants and preservatives so the chance that you did any long term damage is minimal. Unlike combat boots, motorcycle jackets, and horse saddles, there's no body inside to support the leather when it gets wet. It is essentially a hammock, stretched between two points and the "body" sits on top and stresses, not supports, the leather.

The upshot of this design is that when your saddle gets wet it is more prone to stretching and deforming. If you really soak it, the lubricants and preservatives in the leather will start to get displaced by water and the leather will eventually dry out. Notice the language, it's a process, over time. Any saddle can be over-ridden in the right or wrong conditions until it wears out, but who dedicates themselves to doing it? You've got tons of miles left and certainly hundreds of downpours too.

Discoloration of your saddle is normal.

Last edited by cale; 06-20-15 at 11:57 AM. Reason: clarity