Old 10-11-19, 10:34 AM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Originally Posted by Clem von Jones
I'm nearly 6' 2" and believe current mtb geometry has insanely long effective top tube length. It forces you to sort of lean forward and prop yourself against the handlebar which places strain your hands, arms, and shoulders. Modern geometry 29ers especially also have waaaay too long wheelbases and it feels like driving an 18-wheeler truck. It's better to have shorter ETT and use longer stems if you need that extra reach. The too-long ETT geometry bikes effectively limit your options though.

The too long ETT length combined with the too high headtube also makes current geometry bikes twitchy because it's impossible to get adequate weight on the front wheel especially riding uphill. I absolutely loathe the current "forward geometry" fad.

People have the intuitive sense that sitting more upright on a bike is going to be more comfortable but I've discovered by experience that having the bars much lower than the saddle is desirable because it lowers your center of gravity and allows more weight balance between the wheels. Doesn't that put too much weight on your hands though? No, if your bars are low enough weight comes off your hands and is transferred to your spine, pelvis, legs and feet. This lower position can cause problems for people who are overweight with limited mobility though.

Currently the geometry of bikes is biased toward excessive reach but I prefer the geometry of vintage mtbs with their bias of lower front ends (and rigid forks). The older bikes had shorter ETT. The only liability of first and second generation mtb bikes is their weight, they are usually heavy steel frames. I'm hoping that someday the traditional "square geometry" mtbs make a comeback but with 27.5 wheels and made from lightweight 853 tig-welded steel or carbon.
Good post . Thanks !