Old 11-05-19, 07:47 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Longest top tube 50 cm frame?

TL;DR - shortest height frame with 57 cm TT, or longest 50 cm c-t frame? Aero frame but can be used in mass start.

TL;DR Part 2 - if no real aero benefits to frames I'm considering then would it make sense simply to commission an aero "style" frame? Not sure of USI legality due to fact that builder is not UCI legal. It would use regular tubes plus a commercially available fork.

I've been reading a lot of back posts on track racing. I'm looking to get into it a bit more, starting with getting decent equipment (right now I'm riding a straight gauge steel frame/fork that weighs just over 7 lbs for frame/fork/headset alone).

My target event would be the 500m, then in order of enjoyment, keirin, scratch, sprint, and whatever else. I'd probably get aero bars as well as drop bars because based on my power profile I think I'll need to get aero bars to be competitive in the 500m. I have zero interest (and capability?) in doing longer timed events.

Realistically I would not be racing much, and in fact I'm looking at this as a real splurge because the closest tracks are so far away. If it ends up becoming a thing then I'd commission a second frame (aluminum) to mirror the position of the primary "aero carbon" frame.

My road bikes are sloping top tube frames but effectively:
ST - 50 cm c-c
TT - 56.5 TT
HT - 12 cm (9.5cm + 21.5mm headset)
STA - 75.5
(HTA - 73 deg)

Stem - 14.5 cm / -32 deg (would be -33 if using 74 deg HTA frame)
Bar - (FSA Compact) 12 cm reach, 8 cm drop

I'd like the head tube to be 12 cm or so, TT seems like it should be 57 or even longer?, STA close to 75 deg.

I run an ISM saddle so I should be okay with saddle fore-aft legality, on the BB vertical line for sprints, 4 or 5 cm back for time trial set ups.

So far the only frame that seems to fit those dimensions is the Dolan DF4 which looks like the HT length stays the same through the 57 cm size, giving it a 12 cm HT with 57 cm ST (and 50.5 cm c-t ST / 74.5 STA). This is by far the closest I've found. Short ST, long TT, short HT. Angles look appropriate for mass start.

I saw the posts on the rear drop outs bending up a bit on the DF4. I don't know of any other issues.

I'd prefer a BB30 so I can use one of my SRMs but I am open to getting a BSA SRM if I can't find a BB30 frame with similar dimensions.

My current "aero style" frame (shod with training wheels). I'm no aero expert but I don't see if I can get too much more from the DF4, except perhaps in weight and rigidity (and UCI legalness). My frame is so small that it presents less to the air than, say, if I rode a 60 cm. I think the biggest gains will be from my position, my helmet, wheels, and wearing a skinsuit:
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson