Old 07-05-20, 06:58 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
Inverted North Roads or mustache bars with a longer stem. Gets the riding position up in front very quickly without having to find taller frames, or going for the other extreme of a full upright riding position. Rather, the look of a speedy English club bike.

Done right, you can bring the bars up as little as 2", and a lot more if you just want to go upright. I recently put conventional North Roads on a Raleigh Pro, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that I wasn't lacking for speed, Even with my body supposedly creating enormous extra drag, I found myself cruising the neighborhood at a solid GPS-calculated 16mph. I can see this being a problem for speed in windy situations, of course.

Speaking of upright bars, even I have found myself in a similar case as RiddleOfSteel with these aforementioned upright bars. Long ago, I started jacking my saddles higher and higher. It worked. Only my bars can only go so far. Compare the saddle-to-bar position of my 1951 Raleigh - built about 13 years ago with a saddle height that was gradually raised to its present position - to what I'm aiming for on my more recent, 1980 Raleigh Sports build:

Note how I'm trying to hide that long stem on the '80 Sports with the high-mounted headlight. The visual illusion works too!

All things considered, these adjustments make it look like I need that aforementioned 25" frame, and not the 23" frames I'm presently riding.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888: