Old 07-05-20, 09:17 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
For selfish reasons, I kinda like where this is going.

The first bike I bought, back in the mid-70s, was a 23” Azuki. It took a couple of years to realize it was too small and do something about.

I bought a nice 25” frame in 1978. I still have it and just repainted it for the second time, but I haven’t been using it lately because the low BB causes pedal strike with my platform pedals. That was never an issue back when I was running racing pedals with toe clips.

I’m currently using a late 80s 25” Schwinn frame that I actually bought for one of the kids (but it ended up being too big.)

I’m definitely not opposed to switching my road frame to something better than the bottom of the line Schwinn frame of its day, assuming the BB height will work.

So, a really nice 25” frame with enough BB height would see a lot of miles around here!

Otto
That's funny, but I like your honesty. I'd think the same thing, too!

There is a 25" 1985 Schwinn Peloton built up for sale here in Seattle. I know the guy because I sold the frameset to him, hahaha. My lovely Prologue is generally in the looking-for-a-new-home category, but I'm test fitting pieces on the Land Shark, so I can't build it up again. Not enough spare parts! At least I get to say the Prologue is sorta too small now in addition to the likely-unwise statement that the Davidson is the fiercer road bike and took its parts--and there can be only one top dog...maybe... Prologues are gems, I just wish they could be 66cm gems. Most any mid- to late-'80s Schwinn will have the standard BB drop amount of 70mm. Older Paramounts were 76mm (3"), Cannondales at 66/67mm, my Allez SE somewhere in that range, too. As long as you aren't pedaling through sharp corners or have the inside pedal at bottom dead center through a good curve (easy to do), you'll never strike a pedal the rest of your life, and BB drop won't matter.