View Single Post
Old 02-21-21, 04:59 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Track racing is so much fun, even at the masters level. And the track racing community is fantastic. Also, learning to move around on the track will give you exceptional pack handling skills - even if you've been riding and racing on the road for years.
When I was doing the track thing, I found that smaller part of the larger bicycling community to the be very welcoming and always willing to mentor new and younger riders. That was and is a plus since building and running velodromes is not cheap and having riders riding and competing and not getting discouraged, all while attracting audiences is as much a goal as the actual racing. The audiences were a wide age range and fitness level also.

I never raced after the track bike classes thanks to a car crash with cracked ribs and a new job, but the 'read the pack' wisdom has been a real plus over many years, both in group rides and even now on the unpredictable MUPs.