Old 11-04-06, 09:41 AM
some_guy282
Peaknik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another newbie cross commuter...

I've been commuting by bike for two and a half years now, and the frame on the mountain bike that I've been riding for that time has cracked on me. Riding through NYC I probably never should have had a mountain bike in the first place, but it's what I was comfortable with from my childhood and with some slicks it served me well. My horizons have expanded since then thanks largely to BF, and I'm looking to get a cross frame to build up as my new commuter.

Right now I'm looking strongly at the Nashbar X frame and, of course, *drum roll* the Surly Crosscheck.

Coming off of a cracked frame I like the fact that the Cross check is steel, but I really wish it took disc brakes, which is why I'm also looking at the Nashbar frame. I've done searches and read all the disc brake threads, and yes, I'm aware they're not necessary. But I commute year round, and have found my Avid BB7's to be quite handy when I'm riding through winter muck and on rainy days. I've tried looking around a bit for a steel cross frame that takes disc brakes, but without luck. Are there any? And if I end up with disc brakes, are there any 700c disc ready wheels I could buy prebuilt, or would I have to get the components and put them together?

I'd like to migrate as many components from my current bike to the cross bike as possible (probably going to be the Cross Check). Here are the parts I'm wondering if I could use on the Cross Check.

Mountain V brake levers
Avid SD7 V brakes
SRAM X7 shifters/rear derailer
Road casette
Mountain crankset and pedals
26 inch wheels

Any compatibility issues there? I'm guessing there are with the wheels, but if I could use my old wheels for the winter to save for some nice 700c wheels it would save me a lot of trouble.

Any advice/input you all can provide would be appreciated...