View Single Post
Old 06-07-09, 01:41 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
North of N.Y.C.

Included Bicycle Sundays on the Bronx River Parkway in Westchester County, NY in my riding today. Did about 50 miles total. It starts at Scarsdale Road in Yonkers, NY (Between Crestwood & Tuckahoe). You head north and there is a small, stone building with a mobile bicycle repair station (from Danny's Cycles in Scarsdale), Westchester Tourism office with brochures and maps galore, and restrooms. Heading north again and just off the parkway, in Scarsdale by the train station, there is a Starbucks with restrooms. The ride then continues across nice road surfaces and mixed terrain (easy, rolling hills) to the Westchester County Center (an indoor colliseum). The scenery is quite pleasant, with streams and waterfalls, and you can stop anywhere and relax in the shade. I continued north, using the connecting Bronx River Bike Trail, to the Kensico Dam Plaza where there was an Albanian cultural festival in progress (great music, attractive women, good time). The Plaza is supposedly Westchester County's version of N.Y.C.'s "Central Park". It was packed, and there is a building there with a small fast-food restaurant and restrooms. I then rode all over the place, and quickly came to appreciate the quality of the road surface on the Bronx River Parkway. The streets had pot holes, and other imperfections, that had me clenching my spoke wrench and grinding my teeth. The next time I ride, I am hoping to head a few more miles north to what is called the North County Trail. It is a paved over railway line that is perfectly level, and quite scenic. Should easily be able to do 60+ miles altogether.

Bicycle Sundays:
The Parkway was packed with riders, since it was a beautiful day, but it was big enough to not be congested. The ratio of male-to-female riders was about equal, and most age groups had at least some representation. The bulk of the riders, though, were probably in their 20s to late 40s. Their were families, too, including some with kids in baby seats. You also saw riders in packs from cycling clubs. I also noticed smaller groups with Westchester Cycle Club jerseys. There was also a wide array of bicycle types being ridden. Plenty of mountain bike variations, but also road bikes of all ages, folding bikes, kids' bikes, and I even saw an "English Racer" (forgive me Sheldon B. for using that term). There also were walkers, joggers, skaters, and a few kids and adults on Razor scooters sharing the road. I had no problems with any of them getting in the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photoze 090.jpg (102.0 KB, 59 views)
photoze 088.jpg (101.0 KB, 53 views)
photoze 091.jpg (101.3 KB, 52 views)
photoze 086.jpg (100.4 KB, 57 views)
photoze 092.jpg (101.5 KB, 51 views)