View Single Post
Old 07-14-22, 02:44 PM
Flipper_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Sirrus X 4.0 VS Trek FX Sport 5

I've been narrowing things down lately and really think that the Sirrux X is what I want. I need to bump up the speed and intensity for some rides from the Comfort bike I already have, want something that can venture on to the lightest well groomed singletrack and not turn into a **** show but it's main focus will be limestone/rail trails of mixed to good quality, spinning it out. Both of these run 38/40 tires, it appears that the Trek is the better value if you consider Carbon to be a weight and compliance advantage but the future shock handlebar suspension is intriguing and I think it could make a big difference as the roughness increases.

Highlights:
Sirrus X 4.0- 20mm handlebar suspension, carbon fork, Deore 1X11 drivetrain with close spaced ratios
Trek FX Sport 5- Full carbon, partial GRX (Crank/Derailleur) 1X11 drivetrain with close spaced ratios

Want:
Hybrid style because it's harder
Compliance for days but no front suspension fork
Fat tires
Light weight but anything in the 24 Lb and lower areas should be fine

Do we like Trek Carbon these days? Do we like future shock 1.5? Is Future shock 1.5 as maintenance intensive as cheap coil shocks? These bikes are more similar than different but the FX sport 5 is full carbon (instead of just the fork). Seems to me that the Specialized might actually be a better fit, bit more upright but the extra 500 dollars for the Trek seems to be a great deal considering the full carbon and GRX groupset. I hope to take these bikes on singletrack of the easiest type for perhaps 10-20 percent of their riding.

Last edited by Flipper_; 07-14-22 at 02:58 PM.