View Single Post
Old 12-02-19, 04:03 PM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Help me with bikepacking

Hi,
I recently wrote in this forum that I classified bike packing as a type of credit card touring. I did not mean to ruffle any feathers.
Maybe some of you seasoned bike packers can clue me in.
I would love to give bike packing a crack for full loaded/ self sufficient bike set up.
After looking at a few websites and seeing some you tube videos, without exception I saw some serious shortcomings in comparing their set up to my full loaded/ self reliant set up.
I honestly just don't see how it would work from my vantage point/ full self sufficient/ fully loaded touring.
A few parameters first:
I am short, and ride essentially a 13" frame where the top tube slants/ points towards the rear dropouts.
I drink (as all seasoned bike tourists should) 1-2 bottles an hour/ 1/4 bottle every 15 minutes. At the very least having a water bottle on the top and underneath of the down tube is mandatory. I hate the idea of stopping, digging out a water bottle from the framebag every 15 minutes. Feels like a downright dumb idea.
So a frame bag is not possible.
since I am an inventor and welder, I made an aluminum telescoping handlebar rack to hold gear. After mounting a 3 lb sleeping bag on it and after trying it out, I hated the way it pulled while riding. (affected handling) also was unable to see my front tire so I could do a decent job of missing obstacles.
I like a tent sleeping bag and pad, I know that I could potentially loose some space and weight by using a hammock, but hate the idea of getting skunked, trying to find a pair of suitable trees every night. Plus mosquitoes really love me.
I use about 90% of my gear daily. I am not one of those people carrying too much stuff.
So here is my gear list by weight I wish that I had the cubic inches per item.
1.0 lb Pocket shower, backpack, rope shower floor/ ground cover and flip flops
3.5 lb freestanding tent
3.5 lb rear panniers
3.0 lb front panniers
3.0 lb sleeping bag 15 degree
2.2 lb on the bike clothes
2.2 lb off the bike clothes
2.0 lb hygiene kit / electrolytes
1.0 lb sleeping pad
1.0 lb 2 spare tubes, tire irons, patch kit and allen keys.
1.0 lb stove
.5 lb small combo cable lock
.5 lb walking sandals
.001 water reservoir (holds up to 3 gallons)
.001 lb bags to cover my seat and handlebars at night.
Anyway., I am hoping that some of you seasoned bike packers can give me a few ideas on how to make this work. Thank you.