Old 05-06-20, 03:18 PM
Gaarci

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikefule
Back in the day, before fixed became a trendy fad, club riders often had a freewheel on one side and fixed on the other. They might swap once on a ride, from fixed (on the way out/up) to free (on the way back/down) on a day's ride into the hills, or setting off into the wind.

I have a fixed sprocket on each side of mine. The lower side (larger sprocket) is for general mixed riding. The higher side (smaller) is for riding roads in a mainly flat area. To be honest, it's been on the lower side for as long as I can remember.

Assuming no more than 2 teeth difference (if you have a rear brake) or up to maybe 3 or 4 teeth difference (if no rear brake) it's a matter of seconds to flip the wheel round. Maybe a minute if you put some effort into getting it just right. It's not a big thing.
Thanks very much - that is really fascinating history - I had no idea that anyone ever swapped hubs like that but it really makes sense to use fixed going up and freewheel going down - I am learning a lot - thanks again!