View Single Post
Old 05-30-20, 08:26 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
wafranklin Give heed to all of the above caveats regarding confrontation and giving in to rage.

I began using a helmet cam six years ago to record my rides in case there was trouble, like an accident or dangerous or harassing driver or some other encounter where I had been wronged (or possibly injured).

Seeing and hearing myself react to perceived vehicular malfeasance and injustice was an eye-opener.

First, most "close calls" and "aggressive" or "intimidating" behavior by drivers, when viewed from a safe distance in retrospect turned out to be NOTHING.

Adrenaline has a way of distorting your perception of physical distances the order of occurrences and of the intentions of others. (I suppose it's a good survival reflex from an evolutionary standpoint.)

Secondly, I was able to see how I acted and reacted and the driver's reaction to my reaction. Not productive. Usually the driver wasn't even aware they had done anything wrong. Those that did do something on purpose were scary crazy and unreasonably aggressive. And once in a while there were people who were truly upset and even shaken that they hadn't seen me or didn't realize they were getting too close.

So the camera got me to relax and think about my behavior. And reviewing my ride videos also helps me choose better strategies for my usual commute routes. It's like when I was a disk jockey on the radio in the 1980s. We used tape machines that recorded when the microphone was on so we could go back and review our performance and hopefully improve. The same thing is done in sports, acting, etc.

Helmet cams are relatively cheap these days.

My suggestion is to get one and review yourself.

And if you're lucky enough to bike and bike commute in a beautiful area like Colorado Springs, you will have mementos of the fun, beauty and joy of your rides.

I also found that after I turned 45 I started to relax and became slower to anger. Having been through the life-altering medical crises and deaths of loved ones, family and friends tends to make the seeming indignation of some a-hole driver seem irrelevant.

I'm almost 60 now and after being surrounded by family, I am happiest when I ride.

Don't let others steal your bliss.

https://www.youtube.com/user/bgvideo62/playlists
Likes For BobbyG: