View Single Post
Old 07-13-14, 10:05 PM
753proguy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MKahrl
What's remarkable is that so many 27" tires are still being made for a rim size that was phased out thirty years ago. Samsung no longer makes the battery for my two year old cell phone.

27" was the most popular wheel size in the U.S. when FOUR MILLION bicycles were sold here in just four years. And a lot of these bikes are still on the road today. I was visiting NYC this weekend and saw dozens of thirty and forty year old bikes being used. It says a lot about the fundamental soundness of the "10-Speed" design.
What we don't see, though, is high-performance 27-inch tires. No new high-end tires are being molded in 27-inch, as far as I know. I wish there were just one super-high-performance 27-inch tire. 27 x 1 & 1/4" would probably be the size to do, but no one can be convinced to make the investment....

What do folks consider to be the 'highest-performance' 27-inch tire currently available? The Paselas are decent, the Conti Gatorskins are tough, but neither is really a high-performance tire, these days.

Last edited by 753proguy; 07-13-14 at 10:13 PM.